As a Fellow, what will I learn?
NSI Technologist Fellows will gain the tools necessary to effectively engage policymakers and senior officials in both the legislative and executive branches on critical issues. Fellows will also learn how technologists can bring their expertise to bear on such issues. Session topics include:
- An overview of the powers, organization, and processes of the legislative and executive branches, including their role in shaping technology policy and enacting related laws;
- How to educate members of Congress and their staff;
- How to effectively engage executive branch offices and staff;
- How to write effective proposals and white papers; and
- How to build coalitions and partnerships.
Sessions will include a mix of case studies, practical exercises, and document drafting exercises.
Fellows will hear from and visit with leading policymakers, including members of Congress, members of the press, and industry experts.
Fellows will also have the opportunity to network with like-minded technologists, as well as with policy experts at a range of social events.
How long is the fellowship, and what are the start and end dates?
The fellowship is a year-long program with 4 multi-day sessions held throughout 2019 in both Washington, D.C. and other major cities. Our planned 2019 dates are:
- Session 1: March 29 – 31, 2019 in Washington, DC
- Session 2: June 29 – 30, 2019 in Chicago, IL
- Session 3: September 6 – 9, 2019 in New York City, NY
- Session 4: November 2 – 4, 2019 in Washington, DC
Will travel and accommodations be provided?
Yes, roundtrip airfare and hotel accommodations will be provided to all Fellows who must travel for program sessions.